Stay informed about theory events using the public google calendar (below) or by signing up to the mailing list.
The Theory Group host a weekly Algorithms Coffee on Mondays, 11am-12pm in the Theory Collaboration Area on the 3rd floor of Mudd. Come and discuss any advanced algorithms or theory questions in your research, news and current events in theoretical computer science, or topics from recent theory seminars. There will be no formal presentations. If coffee isn’t your cup of tea, there is also tea.
Quarterly Theory Workshop
The Quarterly Theory Workshop brings in three theoretical computer science experts present their perspective and research on a common theme. Chicago area researchers with interest in theoretical computer science are invited to attend. The technical program is in the morning and includes coffee and lunch. The afternoon of the workshop will allow for continued discussion between attendees and the speakers.
- Nov 14-15, 2019: 2019 Junior Theorists Workshop
- May 24-25, 2019: CS+Math Workshop on Metric Embeddings and Dimensionality Reduction
- March 8, 2019: Optimization with Uncertainty
- November 15-16, 2018: 2018 Junior Theorists Workshop
- June 8, 2018: Algorithmic Fairness
- May 11, 2018: Predictive Game Theory (Part of the Special Quarter on Data Science and Online Markets)
- April 28-29, 2018: Partial Identification and Approximation (Part of the Special Quarter on Data Science and Online Markets)
- January 25, 2018: Data Science for Online Markets
- October 20, 2017: Analytic Methods in Theoretical Computer Science
- May 24-25, 2017: Beyond Worst-Case Analysis
- February 22, 2017: Computational Challenges in Machine Learning
- May 16-17, 2016: Semidefinite programming hierarchies and Sum of squares
- March 7, 2016: Algorithmic Game Theory and Data Science
The Theory Seminar is the weekly seminar of the Theory Group in EECS. The Theory Seminar covers topics in theoretical computer science like algorithms, computational complexity, algorithmic game theory and theoretical machine learning. Seminars will range between neat proofs, informal presentations of local theory, and talks by visiting theoreticians. In addition to Theory Seminar talks, the calendar lists relevant talks in EECS, MEDS, IEMS, and interesting theory seminars in the Chicago area.